My Dirty Little Secret
Just so you know, I'm cringing as I write this. But I'm in a truthful mood. So here goes.
I might be a wee bit obsessed with Fifty Shades of Grey.
I know this series has been out for awhile. So I am going to assume that if you read contemporary romance then you have probably read the series, seen the film, or at least know about it. Now in my own defense, I was a late comer to this series. There was so much hype about the books as well as a lot of bad reviews that I pretty much ignored them for a few years. But when the word came out that they were going to be making a movie based on the books I figured I would see what all the fuss was about.
So what is it about Christian and Anastasia that keeps me coming back? Certainly not the so called BDSM theme. One of the things that kept me away from the novels for so long were some of the rumors that I'd heard about the book. As a result, I had a completely different impression. I had visions of fistings (ouch!) and dungeons, nipple clamps and various types of torture. Not that there is anything wrong with that lifestyle, and I certainly have read books that involve BDSM, many of which I've enjoyed. But there can be no mistake that Fifty Shades is BDSM lite.
So again I ask myself what else could it be that draws me to these characters? After reading the books a few times and watching the movie more times than I will ever admit, I think I know now. One reason is that despite Christan's "singular" tastes there is an innocence and vulnerability that draws one in. The push and pull between his heart and his head create that lovely tension as we all wait in angst for the breakthrough. And then of course there is Ana. The sexually inexperienced virgin who's been reading Thomas Hardy and sipping weak tea, while patiently waiting for the one she really wants. If she was anymore angst ridden, it really would be too much! It actually kind of is, but it's still fun to read.
If you haven't read the books or seen the film and you plan to, then beware because there are spoilers ahead.
Here are my top 5 scenes and passages from the books and film.
1. In the book Fifty Shades Freed when Ana tells Christian she's pregnant and they get into a huge fight. Love that scene!
2. In the movie when Christian and Ana are negotiating their Dom/Sub contract and he tells her "I would like to fuck you into the middle of next week". I mean...how does one respond to that?
3. In Fifty Shades Darker when Christian finally admits that he loves Ana. Finally he starts to open up!
4. The text and email exchanges between Christian and Ana in the movie and the books are great.
5. The Happy Ever After or course. That's what it's all about really!
What are your favorite scenes from the books or movie?
Did I say too much? I'd love to hear from you.
Video: Vaults - One Last Night (Fifty Shades Of Grey Soundtrack)